Alyson Greiner recently announced that she will be stepping down from her work as Editor of the Journal of Cultural Geography after many years of service. She is coordinating the search for a new Editor for that journal. The deadline for applications is October 14, 2016.
Call for Editor – Journal of Cultural Geography
Applications are invited for the post of Editor for Journal of Cultural Geography (JCG).
The post is for an initial term of 3 years, starting in January 2017. Please submit applications by October 14, 2016.
We are seeking an Editor to work collaboratively with the existing Editorial Team, and the Publisher, Routledge, to coordinate the publication process; overseeing all editorial aspects from submission to final publication. The Editor will be supported by the Editorial Board and Routledge, who will in turn co-ordinate the activities of in-house editorial, production, marketing, sales, and distribution staff.
The Editor will demonstrate vision, leadership, and creativity, and agree to execute the mission of the Journal through soliciting, commissioning, reviewing, and developing articles and other features of the highest quality, and ensuring these are delivered to Routledge to agreed deadlines.
The successful candidates will have a handover period with the existing Editor. Alyson L. Greiner will be formally stepping down at the end of 2016, by which time the new Editor will be in place.
The tasks to be undertaken will include but are not be limited to:
- Day to day manuscript management including: desk screening of submissions, identifying and inviting suitable reviewers, ensuring timely reviews and recommendations are received; read, summarize and base judgements about acceptance, rejection or Revision on referees’ reports, and communicate this in writing to authors within a reasonable period of time;
- Responsibility for identifying strategies to enhance the quality and reputation of the journal, particularly with relation to its citation levels, and readership/circulation;
- Working with Routledge and the Editorial Board to develop the editorial strategy and direction of the Journal and to act as ambassador for the journal;
- Commissioning special issues and assigning topical Guest Editors;
- Attending conferences relevant to the Journal annually;
- Managing and appointing Editorial Board members in line with the Journal and Routledge’s policies in terms of size, subject specialisms and geographical representation;
- Organising a minimum of one Editorial Board meeting annually, also attended by Routledge.
Applicants should have recognised expertise and an established record of scholarship in the context of cultural geography and related subjects, and be actively involved with networks within the field. A passion for communication, some prior experience of editing duties and excellent task, time and line management skills are essential.
Applicants are requested to send an expression of interest, specifically referring to why you believe you are particularly qualified for the role of Editor for Journal of Cultural Geography, and how you see your role in the future development and direction of the Journal (maximum of 2 side of A4). A CV should also be submitted.
If you wish to discuss the positions informally before applying, please contact the current Editor, Alyson L. Greiner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Read more about this opportunity: explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/pgas/jcg_call_for_editor